Stanford Blood Center/Humane Society Silicon Valley partnership will aid patients, animals during holiday season
December 18, 2013
Attention News Desk: Press Release (for immediate release)
Dayna Kerecman Myers (202) 669-2921
Deanna Bolio (650) 725-3804
STANFORD, Calif. — The Stanford Blood Center is partnering with Humane Society Silicon Valley as part of the center’s “Give Good” campaign during this holiday season. For each donor who rolls up their sleeve Dec. 18-Jan.12, a monetary donation will be made toward lifesaving vaccines and other medical needs for animals.
“Humane Society Silicon Valley has a mission to save and enhance lives, which is a natural fit with Stanford Blood Center,” said Deanna Bolio, center spokesperson. “Donors who come in during the run of this campaign will be helping to save the lives of humans and animals alike.”
The winter holidays are an especially difficult time to maintain adequate supplies of blood because people are often traveling, busy, or sick. As a reward to blood donors during the holiday season, the center will offer collectible tote bags.
This is Stanford Blood Center’s first “Give Good” campaign, in which the center will partner with community organizations to double the impact of blood donations.
Cristie Kamiya, vice president for medical operations at Humane Society Silicon Valley, noted that her organization is an independent nonprofit not affiliated with the Humane Society of the United States. “Only 25 percent of our income comes from program fees. We rely on donations from our community members to provide the remaining 75 percent,” Kamiya said. “The Give Good partnership will contribute to those essential funds, helping to ensure that all our animals receive lifesaving vaccines and vital medical care.”
The campaign includes donors at both center and mobile blood drives. On Jan. 5, the blood center will hold a mobile blood drive from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Humane Society Silicon Valley’s Animal Community Center, 901 Ames Ave. in Milpitas.
“We hope to see many people come out and donate,” said Bolio. “It’s an easy way to make a difference in the New Year.”
Donors should be in good health with no cold or flu symptoms. They must eat well prior to donation, drink fluids and present photo identification at the time of donation. The process takes about an hour. For more information or to schedule an appointment online, please call (888) 723-7831 or visit bloodcenter.stanford.edu.
# # #
The Stanford University School of Medicine consistently ranks among the nation’s top medical schools, integrating research, medical education, patient care and community service. For more news about the school, please visit http://mednews.stanford.edu. The medical school is part of Stanford Medicine, which includes Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. For information about all three, please visit http://stanfordmedicine.org/about/news.html.
Stanford Blood Center was created at the Stanford University School of Medicine in 1978 to meet the complex transfusion needs of Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, as well as provide tailored blood products and clinical trial services for school researchers. Today the center provides blood products to seven local hospitals and is a recognized leader in the field of transfusion medicine. More information is available at https://bloodcenter-stg.stanford.edu.
Humane Society Silicon Valley (HSSV) is an independent, nonprofit organization offering high-quality adoptions, medical services, education programs and pet care services to enhance the human-animal bond. HSSV’s new environmentally-friendly Animal Community Center offers adoptions and foster care; a Medical Center specializing in spay/neuter surgery; Dog Training, Grooming services; an Education Center with programs for children and teens; a Pet Store; Lost & Found Services, and a Dog Park. More information about HSSV can be found at www.hssv.org or call 408.262.2133.