Stanford Blood Center Organizes a Series of Events to Boost Blood Supply in the New Year
Attention News Desk: Press Release (for immediate release)
Brooke Krannich (650) 723-8270 or (205) 540-1569
Deanna Bolio at (650) 725-3804
STANFORD, Calif. —In an effort to increase blood inventory for community hospitals, Stanford Blood Center will host several events and offer special giveaways during January, National Blood Donor Month. The winter holidays are an especially difficult time to maintain adequate supplies of blood because people are typically traveling, busy, or sick during that time, and Blood Center staff have learned that piling on the fun and prizes helps encourage more people to get out and donate. Currently, there is a shortage of type-O blood, but all types are needed.
“This month, we’re planning a drive to honor Elvis, a Health-focused blood drive, a drive with Stanford Hospital, and a huge drive with the San Jose Sharks at the Shark Tank,” said Recruitment Manager Susan Morris. “On top of those exciting events, we’re also offering special giveaways during the whole month at each of our three Centers.”
During tough economic times, donating blood is an especially easy way to help people in need. “We provide donors in our area the opportunity to make a difference in patients’ lives without costing them a dime,” said Stanford Blood Center representative Brooke Krannich. “After the holidays are over, money is tight for most of us and giving blood is the perfect way to support the community.”
JANUARY EVENTS AND BLOOD DRIVES:
• Rock ‘n Roll Up Your Sleeves Elvis Blood Drive: Tuesday, January 6, 2009; 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.; 3373 Hillview Ave., Palo Alto
Donors are invited to our Hillview Center for a celebration of the king’s birthday. There will be cake and refreshments, and the Bay Area’s best Elvis impersonator, Rick Torres, will treat everyone to the soothing sounds of the king’s entire repertoire of music. Donors will also be entered into a prize drawing for Elvis memorabilia.
• The Healthy Habit: Thursday, January 8, 2009; 12 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.; 3373 Hillview Ave., Palo Alto
Make the resolution to give blood throughout the year. This mini-health fair will have refreshments, giveaways, fitness demonstrations and more, all designed to get 2009 started on the right foot.
• Stanford Hospital Drive: Tuesday, January 20, 2009; 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.; The Atrium at Stanford Hospital, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford
Donate at this Inauguration-Day drive, and keep an eye on the news. We’ll have a big-screen television on-site for donors to watch media coverage of Barack Obama’s inauguration. Donors will receive t-shirts and coupons for Baskin-Robbins ice cream.
• Sharks Drive: Thursday, January 29, 2009; 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.; HP Pavilion
Stanford Blood Center is teaming up with the San Jose Sharks once again to offer an exciting way to give back to the community and celebrate the love of Sharks hockey. Attendance to this drive is by appointment only; donors get to watch the morning skate, will be entered into prize drawings for signed jerseys, sticks, and pucks, and might be treated to a visit from a few Sharks players.
• Café Scientifique featuring Anabel and Isabel Stenzel: Thursday, January 29, 2009; 7 – 9 p.m.; 3373 Hillview Ave., Palo Alto
Anabel and Isabel Stenzel, authors, medical professionals, and identical twins, will discuss their personal accounts of living with cystic fibrosis, a genetic lung disease. Free admission; Stanford Blood Center will provide the coffee and cookies.
JANUARY PROMOTIONS AND GIVEAWAYS:
• AMC Movie Tickets: Now through January 6; all Center locations The holidays are a perfect time to catch a movie, and we’re here to help! Donate and we’ll give you a free ticket for AMC Theatres.
• Healing HeARTs t-shirts: January 1 -10; all Center locations A patient at Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital created the artwork for this year’s collectible shirt. All donors at one of our Centers will receive the commemorative shirt.
• Tax Relief: January 12 – 31; All Centers and all mobile drives Tax time is quickly approaching, and who has extra time or money to assemble all that paperwork? Donate blood and receive free tax preparation up to $300 from Liberty Tax Services.
Donors can call (650) 723-7831 or toll-free (888) 723-7831 to make an appointment and get directions. Donors should be in good health with no cold or flu symptoms. They must eat well prior to donation, drink fluids and present photo identification at the time of donation. The process takes about an hour. For more information or to schedule an appointment online, please visit http://bloodcenter.stanford.edu.
# # #
Stanford University Medical Center integrates research, medical education and patient care at its three institutions — Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford. For more information, please visit the Web site of the medical center’s Office of Communication & Public Affairs at http://mednews.stanford.edu.